Wednesday, June 22, 2005

I heart Chicago.

My little brother Aaron lives there currently and I really should go down there more often! It's only about a 4 hour drive. Aaron lives in the funky, studenty Hyde Park neighborhood, right next to Nichols Park. There are several colonies of feral Quaker parrots in the area parks. They build big twiggy communal nests, and actually survive the Chicago winters. Pretty cool.
I took Cooper the Wonder Dog with me. He likes cities. He made plenty of friends sitting outside Starbucks. He mostly managed not to embarass me in the park around other dogs. Except for the big Newfoundland who was doing the challenging stare thing. So many people let their dogs run and play offleash in the park. I tried to keep my distance with Cooper (who Does Not Always Play Well with others) but on several occasions had to call out to people to call their dogs away from us. I hate to perpetuate the "mean Rottweiler" thing, but oh well. He's not at all mean, though he can be a butthead. He just doesn't act very cuddly when he's on a leash and unleashed dogs are charging towards us!
One of the nicer things about Chicago - apart from all the cool restaurants and stores and incredible diversity (a word I don't like using for its trendiness but I can't think of a better one right now) is the vast amount of green space. All along the lakeshore, there are miles and miles of parks, trails, little lakes and wooded areas. All very accessible. If I lived there I'd have a bicycle.
But, I cannot afford to live in the heart of Chicago - well, I couldn't afford to buy a place there.
I had to leave Difficult Daphne behind and she got a bit stressed. I feel badly about that. Poor thing. She is very happy that her human is back home, and at least she didn't destroy anything. She just piddled nervously whenever Jennifer came over. She starts agility classes tonight and I'm wondering how she will do. I've gotten her over her fear of Scary Weave Poles in the back yard, so that will be a start.
Day off from painting. Today I have:
Written two articles for G&H. For what that is worth.
Two pieces for EVM. Well almost; I still have to polish one up a bit.
So, that was about 2000 words. Not stellar, but something.
For the first time in my life, had my eyebrows done. Waxing, trimming, tweezing, all that. Wow. What a difference! And only $7.00. I keep taking off my glasses and admiring them.
Well I did a bunch of other stuff too, and it's only 3:30 p.m. Now what? Bike ride perhaps, to keep my middleaged butt from expanding? Now there's a good idea. It's not too hot. I'll take a dog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home