Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Eleanor Herrick v Holland Wisconsin.

This is Reno.

This is the news story about Reno, his owner Eleanor Herrick and her other dogs.

I don't have a lot of time online this week so I'll let others speak.

Eleanor tells Reno's story. Includes contact info for the town of Holland WI, if you want to make your voice heard.
Margot writes about it.
So does Karen.

I emailed the city of Holland WI, you can too.
townofholland@msn.com
Telephone - 608-526-3354
Fax - 608-526-6564

While I understand the reasoning behind putting a limit on how many dogs a person can own, I don't agree with it. It is not the number of animals at issue, it is the comportment and behaviour of the animals and their owners which determine clean, peaceful neighborhoods.
It makes more sense to enforce existing laws - excessive noise, loose animals, aggressive dogs, odor and health concerns, neglecting animals, irresponsible breeding, etc. Eleanor Herrick has violated none of these. She and her dogs are good citizens.
It is simply an illogical law and I hope she is granted a variance.
Thank you.
Carina MacDonald.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Behind Blue Eyes said...

This is the new blog http://mixedepisodes.blogspot.com/ Sorry, I didn't comment on your post, in a hurry this morning.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ACK! Carina! I'm going to have to stop reading soon because your posts are making me crabby!

I have a friend who lives out in Waukesha county (WI). She lives in one of those new uppity neighborhoods where they make their own rules. The subdivision rules state that a person is not allowed to own more than 2 dogs. She has 3. But she is probably one of the only responsible dog owners in her neighborhood! Her dogs are fenced in while the neighbors dogs roam the neighborhood (one of them even got hit by a car right in front of her house and died!) So these stupid rules don't accomplish anything except to make responsible owners feel like crap and get their hearts ripped out.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am actually breaking the laws in my town by keeping four dogs instead of the prescribed three. I'm not comfortable breaking the law, not because I'm afraid of getting caught but because unfair laws make us lose respect for laws.

I will do what I can for Eleanor and Reno. Thanks for posting this.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Semavi Lady said...

I read about Reno the other day too. Tempted to blog it but was busy on other things.

BUT... I had a blog comment this AM from what seems like an apologist a 'nuke em all' MANDATORY S/N advocate. I probably responded at so much length that no one will finish it, but LOL, I had publish and respond to her comment for reasons you might imagine.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Jill Bryant said...

This just reminds me again of how spread out we animal lovers must be because you know there are a ton of us and we should be able to wield a lot of power if we could work as a unit.

4:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much to everyone for their support. You teach your dogs to be good canine citizens and take good care of them, and this is how responsible dog ownership is rewarded. Meanwhile the "legal" dogs of one and two dog homes are barking, running loose, and being general nuisances.

The sad thing about common sense is that it's anything but common.

For those who are in the same boat I'm in, or fear they someday might be, hang in there. All we can do is fight.

Eleanor Herrick
Town of Holland
Holmen, WI

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home