Friday, May 19, 2006

Bloodthirsty Bettas & bloodworms.




Bettas are little carnivorous fish, they don't live on vegetable matter. (It just occured to me: I live in a houseful of carnivores.)
Most carnivorous fish find bloodworms insanely tasty, and they're pretty much a complete diet. You can buy them freeze dried or frozen at pet stores.
Or, you can go out to your backyard pond in the morning, scoop out some dead leaf debris from the bottom, swish it around in a container so the wiggling red worms fall off and dump it into your fish bowls.
Easy-peasy and free!
And, the Bettas have a grand old time chasing the little wigglers all over the bowl.
Hardcore aquarists (I think that's the term) go to huge legnths to culture all manner of bugs and worms and maggots and such for their fish. I'm not about to start farming maggots in my basement! I'm not that demented.
The top picture is Elvis, right after he figured out they were too peculiar to eat.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rossi2009 said...

Pretty gross little buggars. If that had been Squeeks instead of Elvis she'd have all those worms out of there on the floor and playing with them. =)

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think maggots are pretty smelly :p

I worked in a pet store in San Francisco where we sold live bloodworms. They were cultivated in a plastic litterbox-type container in the storage room. It was mildly creepy to have to scoop them up by the handful, only because they remind me of tiny leeches.

Good move growing them in your pond, though. Think you can grow some chocolate in there too?

2:58 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Bloodworms,sounds like they
could use that as a dish on
fear factor....they already
have eaten maggots.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Tee hee, they are kinda gross and wiggly....michele I cannot watch shows like fear factor, no way jose!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ive had a betta for 2 years and didn't know they are carnivorous, I am off to buy him some bloodworms.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I feed freeze dried blood worms to my fish and they love 'em. Much more than the flake food.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home