Saturday, October 22, 2005

Three big black dogs in one day.

Maybe I missed it and today was national "let your big black dog out to run down the street" day.
Dog number one was on Davison Road (50mph speed limit) as I was coming back from the vet. Big Lab mix type dog. Trotted right across the street in front of me. I pulled around but it took off into a neighborhood. Handily enough there was a cop car right around the corner, I pulled over to tell them a large dog had been running across a fairly high speed road. They said thank you and 30 seconds later took off in the other direction. Oh well, so they don't care. That dog had a red collar, I saw no tag.
Dog number two - I was on a job. Looked out the window, and ditto. Large black/brindle dog, almost looked like a Mastiff mix. No collar. Again, a fairly busy road running along a park and around the corner from a big hospital. Dog takes off into the park, stopping traffic on the way. Oh well. At least it is not in the street any more.
Dog number three, driving home. Another big black dog! NO visible collar, running through a park, no human in sight. It was heading away from me, I didn't even bother stopping. What the hell am I going to do with a large black collarless dog anyway?
After yesterday's adventure with the sick, possibly rabid, raccoon (In Which Carina Traps It) and last week trying to chase down the freeway- bound Beagle and feeding stray cats, I am pretty much over being Mrs St. Francis for the day. The three black dogs were all in fairly upscale neighborhoods. Not that I suppose that makes a difference.
Why don't people at least put tags on their dogs' collars? Dogs can get out, it happens, it's happened to mine. If I see a dog with a collar tag, I am much more likely to stop, because I can at least, hopefully, call the owner. When you pick up an animal with no identification, the choices are:
1: Call Animal Control. There is a teensy weensy little chance they may actually send someone out for the animal.
2: Take animal to a vet or AC and check for a microchip. Since there are more than one type, that's an iffy proposition. Why aren't there universal readers for these things? It's stupid.
3: Take animal home because you are kind and you feel sorry for it. Then it's a total pain in the ass to find an owner, assuming there is even an owner to be found. Not to mention the hairy logistics in bringing an animal into a house where you have two territorial, bossy Rottweilers, and a fairly territorial cat. (Elvis chases other cats away from the house, and has the scars to prove it.)

So anyway, put a damn tag on your dog's collar if you live in a city. Thank you.