Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Everybody say, awwwwww!!




This sounds a bit macabre, I suppose. Some people who are very committed to feeding their cats a truly "biologically appropriate" diet of raw meats buy the little feeder mice sold for snakes. The mice can be purchased live or pre-killed. There's a few online purveyors, like Mice On Ice, who will sell you frozen mice for pet food. "Pinkies" are the hairless babies. "Fuzzies" are the older furry mousies. I just imagine having trays of frozen baby mice-icles, like little pink popsicles, sitting in my freezer next to the Red Baron pizza & peanutbutter icecream - awww, no, there went my appetite!

No really, check out the Mice on Ice website, it is quite funny.

I was looking for images of baby mousies and found this sweet little album. The owner bought a very pregnant mama mouse and photographed the babies from birth until maturity - which takes only four weeks,. The photos above are from her site.
Now I am definitely never buying mice for Elvis the cat to eat! Not that I was considering it in the first place, honestly.

6 Comments:

Blogger threecollie said...

Hmmm....my kitties bring me mice (which I politely refuse) not the ther way around.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Hahaha!!
And, were nature to intend it, that's the way it should be, I think....

6:24 PM  
Blogger Behind Blue Eyes said...

I'm so relieved you don't order mouse embryos for your dogs. George W. would have a fit. He would probably put you on some kind of CIA list and everything!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Diana, maybe he already has....bwahahahaha!

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home