Saturday, July 08, 2006

Interesting bug in my bathroom.



Saw this lovely creature clinging to my bathroom wall last night. Maybe an inch & a half long. I took photos and then scooped him onto a piece of paper and unceremoniously tossed him outside. Not the greatest photo because I forgot to turn on the flash.
I've tried to find out what it is - came across this cool site - but no luck so far.

Threecollie at Northview Diary nailed it - it's a house centipede! Harmless, beneficial even. They eat spiders and larvae and other smaller bugs. I should've put it in my 76 year old Scary Basement, there's enough spiders down there to keep an army of house centipedes alive for centuries.

9 Comments:

Blogger threecollie said...

Try house centipede

6:03 AM  
Blogger Carina said...

And there it is!! Wow, that was fast, threecollie. Thank you!
Oh, they eat spiders and other little bugs. My house was built in 1930 & the basement can be damp...I should have put it down there instead, according to the little article I just read.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Behind Blue Eyes said...

Eeeew! Coool! Creeeepy!

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never seen anything like that before. If I'd found one, I would have thought it was the precursor to something that was going to grow wings.

9:25 PM  
Blogger threecollie said...

Every now and then we used to find them in our bathroom at our old house. They make me shudder......

9:15 AM  
Blogger Carina said...

I found one last year in this house too. Mst be more common in the damp midwest, I never saw these in all my years in Colorado or California.
Now that I know what it is, I'm OK with them being here as long as they stick to the basement and eat spiders!

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn...I've been killing these guys all these years. Don't really have them up here in Washington, but they were a fixture in Houston.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Hi Maritzia - they must like more humid environments, I never saw a single one of these during 17 years in Colorado.
And I KNOW Houston is humid - you made a good move! :)

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Bellagio skin care products Financial advisor bay county pharmacies and drug stores in talbotton ga georgia waterbeds stores st cathrines Patient ratings escitalopram lexapro Subaru forester subaru Crashed audi springfield boating dash covers and floor mats Tax laws for corporate health insurance plans Installing a video cards

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home