Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Raccoon vs Rottweiler


My money would have been on the raccoon.
The other morning, I took Daphne the Rottweiler for a walk to the park before sunrise. I let her offleash and she disappeared into the tall grass by the creek. A quick movement in the tree next to me - I turned my head and came almost face to face with a fleeing baby raccoon the size of a kitten. Yikes - I pushed through the grass towards Daphne to find her facing off with a very pissed off mama raccoon.
Good thing Daphne has a great recall - actually, I think she was glad that I gave her an excuse to back away! Mama raccoon looked pretty intimidating. Bared teeth, snarling and hissing.
I told my knowlegable-about-many-things friend Martha about it & she said not only would a 'coon usually mess up a dog, but they would swim out into water, hoping the dog would swim after. Once in water, a fighting raccoon can drown a large dog by attacking its head. According to this site, that is indeed the case.
Sure was an adorable little baby raccoon, though.

2 Comments:

Blogger girl said...

Aww, raccoons look like cute little bandits! So cute!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Carina said...

Don't they though? It was an adorable little thing, I'm glad the dog didn't hurt one!

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home