Saturday, May 27, 2006

Peculiar dietary habits of skwirls, baby birds & baby snails.


Don't know if you can see it clearly - that's a photo of a squirrel gnawing on a piece of beef soup bone in one of my trees. He probably swiped it from my back yard (the dogs like them.) What's wrong with this picture? Aren't skwirls vegetarians? This one was quite possessive over his bone and got annoyed that I was encroaching on his territory. Little turd.

In other news, I cam home one day to find a fledgeling bird hopping around in my driveway. OK. I let it be - I figure mother nature takes care of her own and I'm not about to interfere. Two days later, the same bird - or one like it - is in my back yard. Unable to fly more than a few feet high, and would surely be cat or dog food if I left it there. Google to the rescue! (This is like, so 2006.) I turned on the 'puter, googled "orphaned birds" and everything I read said to leave it be as long as it had feathers. That parent birds were probably still feeding it, until it was able to fly. I scooped it up under a sheet with the parent birds dive-bombing my head and put it in the empty treed lot next to my house. Hope it survived.

Lastly, I was at at a friend's house and pulled a clump of water plants out of her pond to put in my little bird-bath thingie. That was a week ago, and I just saw an explosion of teensy weensy baby snails all over the bird bath, I guess they hatched from the pond plants. I scooped up a handful and dropped them in my back goldfish barrel to help clean algae.
Isn't that what snails eat, algae?
That's all the news from my city yard this week. Oh, the carpenter bees are back drilling amazingly precise little nesting holes on my back porch; I'm finding scatterings of sawdust on the deck.
And, I just bought an old Jeep Cherokee for a dog bus. It's parked alongside of my house being pooped on by birds until I can get it legal after the holidays. It's a beast and I love it already.

3 Comments:

Blogger girl said...

That squirrel looks evil - look at its red glowing eye!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Well sure, it has to compete with two Rottweilers for those bones you know....!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Bwahahahaha, Dawn I just found your skwerl page. Kewl!

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home