Monday, August 14, 2006

Monday NARP - Starbucks and the kindness of strangers.

NARP = Non Animal Related Post. Because I have opinions on other stuff too and sometimes it needs to leak out.

So last Tuesday, I was in the drive through lane at my local Starbucks (interesting article, BTW)for my morning fix. When I pulled up, the barista told me the person ahead of me had paid for my order. How nice was that! By this time, she was gone and I had no clue why she'd done this.
So naturally I paid for the person behind me, isn't that the right thing to do, karma-wise?
Next morning I asked how many people had paid for the person behind them. Five. The lady in front of me was the first. She was driving a white minivan, I was in my little red truck and the person behind me was in a white Saturn. I noticed a big safety yellow Hummer back in line, and guess who had their order paid for and didn't pony up for the person behind them? Well, chances are someone who drives a Hummer in the suburbs doesn't have a highly developed sense of social responsibility so it figures.
It could be said that people who go through the Starbucks drive through every morning don't either, to be fair.
Apparently this is a trend, though nobody knows its genesis. It's been written up in the Starbucks employee magazine and I'm told the record was thirteen people in line someplace in California.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They sometimes address this issue in the "Starbucks Gossip" blog at http://starbucksgossip.typepad.com. We've never encountered it, but we never use the drive-thru. Consensus is, the "chain" is always broken by the person with the most expensive car (to which some would reply, "That's how they managed to afford an expensive car").

As for blogging "off-topic", how dare you! First it was shoes, now Starbucks... next thing you know, you'll be writing about your favourite brand of toilet paper. You're on the path to destruction! ;-)

9:09 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Scott Tissue. It's the only one that disintegrates right away and is safe for septic tanks.
Now you just STOP that. I had a toilet post* in mind but I suppose you already knew that. Sigh.
*Although it was more along the lines of what happens when you put bleach in the toilet, forget to flush it and then pee. ...

11:02 PM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

ohhh i have done the bleach in toilet and then pee..bad..very bad..
since i dont drink coffee and have never been in a starbucks, in or drive through that wouldnt make me much difference.
but the most expensive car not paying makes sense to me..

11:17 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

jackiesue, you made chlorine gas too? No kidding it's bad, I had to leave the house!!
Good for you, not falling for the Starbucks thing. I've been a coffee lover for about 30 years and the popularity of foo-foo coffee shops was tailormade for people like me but I do feel silly for buying such expensive foo foo coffee drinks.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Behind Blue Eyes said...

Once at x-mas time, me and my husband and daughter went to Pizza Hut and someone paid for our pizza. It was very cool. They did it right before they left so that we couldn't talk to them I guess.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice idea to pay for the person behind you, but I have a question. What if you just ordered a tall latte or something simple and the person behind you has an order with like 4 vente drinks. That could be rather expensive.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Diana - that's such a neat thing to do. I've never even thought to do anything like that before this.

Rachel - ha! I admit, I did ask is they were getting like 8 coffees for the office or something and luckily she wasn't. Phew, dodged that bullet haha.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home