Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Daphne's meme - 10 things.



1. Uhhhhhhhhh. What? Huh?
2. Mine. If Cooper wants it, it's mine. If he had it first, it's mine. If he might ever want it, it's mine. If it squeaks, smells good or is edible, it's mine. If it's on the couch, it's mine. grrrrrr. Mine. Mine, mine, mine, mine.
3. Huh?
4. Oh. Leash. Is good. I can't remember why, but leash is good. Means something good is about to happen. I don't know why. I shall twirl around in mad excited circles until I bash my head on something. Then I'll twirl around the other way.
5. Ummmmmm. What. Mine.
6. Food. Food good too. Can't remember why, but is good. Mine.
7. Elvis. Elvis good cat. Elvis my cat. I sniff his butt. Mine.
8. Huh?
9. Bed. Mine.
10. Huh?

Daphne is a short bus dog. Not the sharpest pencil in the shed. Her elevator is missing the 52nd card. She is a Dog With Issues, it's not my fault, I got her fully formed from the animal shelter 4 1/2 years ago, and while she is lots, lots better, she will never be All Right.
I went to look at another Rottie at the Ingham county shelter, which is high kill, depressing and sells to class B dealers (animals for research.) The dog I went to look at was very dog aggressive and avoidant with people. I felt sorry for her and I am sure she was killed shortly after I visited with her, but since I was still with the Stupid Evil Ex and his kids came on weekends, I couldn't risk a squirrely dog like that.
Daphne was cowering in the back of her pen, crusty with a staph infection, skinny and covered with shit from diarrhea. She bared her teeth, raised her hackles and barked furiously when she saw me. So naturally I opened the cage and walked in. She hurled herself into my lap and shook. So, I did the stupid thing and took her home.

Elvis's meme was funnier to write. I'll do Cooper's soon.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe Daphne is your "short bus" dog. We've ALWAYS called Fonzie our "short bus" puppy, though I'm careful when I use that phrase, so as not to offend. And, the mixed anecdotes - Fonzie's not the sharpest tack in the string of puppy lights. Fonzie's elevator doesn't go all the way to the knife drawer. Fonzie is a purebred, but his papers came late - they took almost a year (were you surprised)? At 3 years old, he JUST learned to lift his leg to pee. Fonzie knows one trick. "Fonzie, look stupid." Fonzie looks up with a confused yet adoring expression, overbite exposed, and you can almost hear him say, "huh?"

Love those sweet, dumb pups!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Haha!!! Cherie, I love your mixed metaphors, those are good.
You just made me realise my use of the term "short bus dog" isn't entirely PC, but I mean it in an affectionate way so oh well. :)

8:37 PM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

what a good soul you are to take her in and give her a good home..i am more inclined to get 'dumb' dogs..and they are so loving..ever had a dumb mean dog? never...ha

1:16 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Nope, and Daphne's not at all mean, she loves everyone as long as they don't scare her.
Well, she'd be mean to little dogs. She'd kill them if she could, seriously. I tried agility classes with her and she enjoyed it, did well. But she was obsessed with the little fast moving dogs in a rather scary, intent way so unfortunately, she doesn't get to be around other dogs, except Cooper.
She really likes her cat, though.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site Xanax cash on delivery ups ge dryer

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home