Friday, August 25, 2006

Where did the last week go....?



So one evening I was sitting on my back deck talking with a friend, when Elvis the cat trotted into the back yard with a little field mousie in his jaws. He dropped it next to Daphne (the small, silly Rottweiler) and started batting it back and forth. Daph got very alert, then picked it up delicately with her front teeth and carried it into a corner, Elvis at her heels. She dug a small hole and dropped the mouse in, then lay with it between her paws. Both cat and dog sat almost nose to nose, intently watching the dead mouse for signs of life. Then Elvis picked it up and started batting it around. Then Daphne took it, dug another little hole and put the mouse in. Then Elvis took it off for a bat-the-mousie game. Then Daphne took it away and put it in yet another hole. Then Elvis snagged it again. Then Daphne got it back and dug another hole.
Then it got dark and I don't know who ended up with the mouse but it sure was fascinating to watch. What was behind this game, I haven't a clue.



Last weekend, Mr. Turbo-pants and I got our UKC AG2 title, finally. Yippee! And some more pretty ribbons for our collection - a first, two seconds and a fourth. Now we get to run for points towards our championship. Which could take a while! You need 100 points; at least 40 need to come from AG2 runs. (Rules and obstacles are different in both AG1 and AG2 runs.) No points for any score lower than 196/200. A "clean run" perfect score gets you ten points, a 196 gets you one point.
It may be amusing one day to figure out how much each title cost, between entry fees, classes, equipment and associated expenses. But who cares! It's really fun.



Don't forget to eat your vegetables.

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

verrrrrrrrrrry cute story of your doggie and kittie and love the photos!

btw, whatza "UKC AG2"? :-)

9:17 AM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

i bet elvis the cat won...they have more stick to it than doggies...
congrats on your title...

12:36 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Damnit, I left a comment earlier and it disappeared. What's with this crap?
Jackiesue - no doubt! Elvis can take food right from Daphne's bowl, she'll back up and let him.

Karen - thanks! UKC = United Kennel Club; like AKC but more emphasis on working titles, plus All-American Mutts are eligible to do any of this stuff (unlike AKC.)
AG2 = the second agility title towards a championship. Still a fairly novice level, but we're learning!

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, that is great. I wish I had the ambition to do that but the more I read your blog the more I think I might like to get started. See, you are a good influence on someone.

The cat and mouse and dog game was hilarious. But I'm betting Daphne had it last. They like their game gamier than cats do. My cat abandons anything close to rigor mortis, but my dogs...well, let's just say they don't.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Heh. I didn't find any evidence of dead rodents when I did yard cleanup, so maybe......

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Mr. Turbo Pants" does look pretty zippy in that photo -- you should get him some racing stripes :)

I love the fish picture -- is it yours?

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home