Friday, September 22, 2006

Good deeds are easy.

I wrote about the wildlife rehabber lady a few days ago. For the longest time, I've been meaning to drop off some food or something - she works 24/7 at this with little help or money and I assure you she isn't wealthy. She told me they rarely drive their big old pickup truck because they can't afford the gas. She's federally licensed, I think through the DNR, and thus has to deal with a ton of bureaucratic bullshit like you wouldn't believe - in addition to providing care to all the critters in her care all day long.
While I was there, a couple stopped by with a female mourning dove that had got caught in the grille on their truck. Unfortunately she died shortly after their arrival. Carolyn also had two litters of kittens. One litter left in a box on her doorstep. Another litter some idiot had left on the side of the freeway! The police were kind enough to pick them up and bring them to her. Also she had a little bitty puppy that had been left almost dead on her doorstep when it was a few days old. The small back yard is a warren of enclosures and cages, with a little pond for waterfowl.
I was really impressed that she has three large dogs and several adult cats who do not kill any of the rescues. Because Carolyn tells them not to. She's better than me. I can't imagine having a house and yard filled with baby deer, racoons, birds, skwirls, groundhogs and such and trusting my crew!
Anyhow, I had a couple of cases of canned duck dog food that I bought at a remainder store and never used. I picked up several dozen cans of cat food too, and ran them over there. It was so not a big deal to do and I think I'll make it a regular thing. She lives in a little house about 15 minutes away, the food I brought over cost me about $20 (I spend that in 4 days on foo-foo coffee) and I know it was really appreciated. Plus, her back yard is really interesting.
If anyone reading this feels moved to do the same thing, go here, locate your local wildlife rehabber and donate a little something.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This entry prompted me to research again exactly why rehab isn't permitted in Nevada. The exact law is, "any wild animal which could be a carrier of rabies (skunks, bats, raccoons, coyotes) must be killed." So, I guess I could do wild bird rehab, although we have a major wild bird rehab center near us, and I'm sure they're better equipped. I really, really want to do bat rehab... I'd actually consider that a factor in making a decision to move to another state one day.

Anyway, what you did was a great reminder of how helpful we can be when we make even small gestures. I often put things into perspective for us by equating donations to what we'd spend at Starbucks. That $20 we spend at Starbucks in 2 days could pay someone else's grocery bill for a week, so we do try to spread it around.

Oh, one of our neighbours left us a slightly used "kennel cab" yesterday. I found it on our front porch when I got up in the morning. I don't know who left it (we're in one of those places where we really don't know our neighbours), but I appreciate it!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Carina said...

There we go brain sharing again...my coffee habit is a ridiculous piece of almost daily frippery at *gack* $4.61 for the foo foo highly caffeinated beverage.
I believe here you can get a permit to rehab most any animal except skunks which MUST be killed if caught. One needs a sperate permit for just about every critter, then there is all the peperwork for each animal, and rules about transporting animals in & out of counties...if a rehabber doesn't know where the animal was found, it should be killed, or something. Lots of restrictions anyhow.
I'd do it if I was ever in a position to be home most of the time....and bats are interesting critters. I often find them hiding behind shutters on houses I'm painting and need to be careful not to hurt them.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Behind Blue Eyes said...

Hey! Thanks for telling me how to google photos. That is so much easier than what I was doing before. I still don't know how to get them into the middle of the text. Or how to make them bigger. But this will make things less stressful not having to fart around for 45 minutes to find a photo everytime that I want to post!

3:20 PM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

behind blue eyes when you want to add pictues click on the little blue square on top of your post when it pops up it will show none...left...center..right then small med and large for size...just click on it and it will center them for you...jac

now to you my dear..ha...i think people should also make donations to their humane society...can donate food, supplies, carriers..some times they need office stuff too..paper, pens, computers etc...you would be surprised what they can use...

4:48 PM  
Blogger Rossi2009 said...

Good for you! Wade and I always go look at the cats for adoption on Sundays. It's almost become a weekly outing. We always end up donating something, or buying one of their calendars, etc. :-) Anything to help the kiddos besides bring another one home! LOL

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home