Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Would you like fries with that?







Although I'm a bit uncomfortable with posting photographs of deformed animals for entertainment, I'm gonna do it anyhow. I was talking with someone about raising chickens for eggs and meat. When you behead a chicken, they often run about headless for a few mninutes - quite amusing for us children! Ha. Also amusing: by pulling the tendons on a chicken foot just so, you can make it give someone the finger.
Anyhow, I recalled Mike the Headless Chicken from Fruita, Colorado. Mike was destined for the soup pot but actually lived for 18 months with no head. He became quite the celebrity. His owners fed him by dropping food down his open gullet with tweezers.
The alternator in my truck went out in the middle of noplace, Utah, in 1999 while driving back from Mexico. (Driving through Mexico is fabulous fun, by the way but that's another story.) I was towed almost 90 miles to Fruita and spent a lovely (not) day there waiting for the alternator to be delivered by mule train. During this lovely (not) day I wandered around Fruita and saw the Mike Memorial.

Just for fun I looked for more photos of deformed chickens and found the four-winged chicken and the chicken-with-one-head-and-two-bodies.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, this is a joke right? I mean how does something live without a brain controlling it's bodily functions?

11:12 AM  
Blogger Rossi2009 said...

you're always good for some at work entertainment Carina :-)

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally entertaining post. Please don't hold back on us, Carina. This was funny, weird but funny.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Rossi2009 said...

idiopathic huh? :-) Personally I think it's what I like to call "second dog syndrome" where your second dog will always be a medical mystery, while your first one remains healthy as a horse.

AUGH

10:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anyone who has ever been around chickens know that they don't have a brain to start with......

12:23 AM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

i can remember being chased around my grandmothers yard by a headless chicken..and getting blood all over me..freaked me out...after that i kicked all chickens that even came near me...

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home