Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Dogsicles.

It's cold. Walk outside and the hairs in your nose freeze into little metal bars and slam shut so breathing hurts, exposed skin starts turning bright red within minutes and you cross your fingers that your car will start. They even closed the schools for a couple of days so the little darlings wouldn't be too chilly. Dog shit freezes the minute it hits the ground and I haven't been able to clean the back yard for a couple of weeks. What poop isn't hidden by snow would need to be chipped out of snowbanks with archeological excavation tools.
So, it's really frikken cold and the dogs have not had their regular walks and are going stir crazy. Frankly, so am I! I miss walkies too. We had several days with the temps below zero and wind chills up to thirty below. I don't mind cold but when it's like that, there's really not much point in going out when your eyelashes start freezing together in the frigid wind.
So, yesterday afternoon it actually warmed up to a toasty 10 whole degrees and I tossed the dawgs into the back of the Jeep and took them over to the river park to run. They exploded out of the back of the Jeep like hairy tornadoes and just ran. It was great to watch. After about 15 minutes Daphne started hunching over a bit and looking cold so we went back home but it did feel wonderful. I ran back & forth with them, and in the snow that is quite a work out, especially with snow boots on!
It never fails to amuse me that at least once every winter cold weather becomes front page news. "Bitter cold strikes Midwest." No shit Sherlock. This is news?

7 Comments:

Blogger Tabor said...

I think there is no more news. Everything possible including an astronaut with an alien love virus has been reported on! It is bitterly cold here as well and I look like the abomniable snowman as I make my way across the icy parking lot each morning.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh, that is just too cold. It is bad enough here, but sounds like you have it worse.

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hurt just reading that post. When winter comes, can spring be far behind?

4:42 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Not news. We had temps like this one winter a decade or so ago, I remember thinking at the time how I would remember how cold it was, and I do. This one's a bit colder, but not really that much.

This one is shocking because of the long warm spell in December, that's all.

And already the sun is gaining the ability to be warm through the fabric of a pair of jeans.

World turns, seasons change...

6:21 PM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

man, I got a chill just reading that..which also reminds me..I have a book to send to you...sort of a thank you for Annie's flea stuff...I keep forgetting to send it..will get it in the mail as soon as I get the belt on truck fixed...

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same story here. Cold as shit. I love when it snows and the news has to break into regular TV with all sorts of warnings like it's never snowed here before. Except every winter.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yes, it's colder than a well diggers hoo-hoo!

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home