Thursday, January 25, 2007

Buick City, Flint MI.

About a mile from me - across from the river park (officially, Veterans' Park) is what remains of the old Buick plant. Buick City was officially closed in 1999, and what was a sprawling factory complex has been leveled to the ground. This took a few years, as demolition crews systematically reduced acre after acre into piles of rubble, then hauled it all away.
Now there's weeds growing up between old bricks and concrete slab and 1960s industrial linoleum flooring. I trespass there with the dogs sometimes...these photos were from a grey early morning walk a few weeks ago.
A very old part of the plant still stands - must date to the 1930s. Huge blackened brick buildings. I so want to go explore...but I have seen footprints in the snow leading over there. So, I think there is probably crack dealing and prostitution and squatting and all manner of people I probably don't want to meet while I'm by myself. Charles, if you're reading this - we need to go explore!







6 Comments:

Blogger Carina said...

Charles you are BAD.
LOL.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

WOW!! Does that bring back some memories. My Uncle worked in that complex until he retired in 1980. He was a photographer for Buick when they still did that stuff in-house. I was there several times as a kid and nearly took a job with GM in the mid-70s.

That sight looks so strange without the buildings. Parts of that complex dated back to WW1. . .

The very idea of running into a bunch of crackheads is enough to keep me away. . .

Thanks for sharing that. I haven't been to Flint in almost 20 years.

Laterz!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

wow! has it been eight years already? hubby retired that year from factory 36 (engine plant) which is still there. so sad what has happened to flint. GM headquarters used to be here. *sigh*

as far as prostitutes and crackheads, think they've been around forever.

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like a great place to run dogs off leash though. And I don't think the crime factor would bother you with your burly bodyguards around.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Lauren I don't think you've missed much. Although the Farmers Market here really is a gem.

Karen - I never knew Flint in its heyday...I moved to MI in 2001 right before 9/11.

Jan you know what's funny? I worry more about someone hurting the dogs than the other way around! LOL.

6:01 AM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

wow, those are some great looking dogs..and i would be worried about someone hurting them too...

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home