Sunday, January 28, 2007

Dog thefts and more agility photos.

I wrote this alert for my dog list. Something to be aware of if you show or trial with your dogs!

Everyone's probably heard of the Staffy who was stolen in November at the Novi Pet Expo.
I was there for the UKC Winter Classic this weekend, and there was another attempt. Someone tried making it out the door with one of the flyball dogs. Thankfully the dog was recovered but the "tall young guy" (I talked to the security guard) ran out and they didn't catch him. Also, I heard that someone else came back to their crating area and someone had a crate door open and was petting their dog. Unbelievable.
I was in the agility part of the building and we all tried to have a buddy system going, but there were still times when there wasn't anyone right there. I had a padlock for my crate, and this is an excellent idea IMHO. The crate was padlocked pretty much whenever I walked away from it. I have a very large dog and crate so it's not like someone could pick the whole thing up!
The security guards in our area were great, they were strict about not letting people in & out with dogs unless we had the proper paperwork. But it was really busy at times and there was only one guard per door. My suggestion is unless there is someone with the dog at all times, to at least have secure locks for the crates and never leave a dog in an x-pen unattended. I could see how easy it would be to steal a dog there, and I can't imagine how heartbreaking it would be.


And, unrelated - more agility photos! I didn't even know these existed, got them from a friend yesterday. From last August.





10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbelievable that someone could be so low as to kidnap a dog, but your advice is good and could save some heartbreak.

Great photos!!

3:16 PM  
Blogger daydreamer said...

You have got to be kidding me? Oh wow.. Very unbelieveable that someone could be so bold as to steal someone beloved pet.. Padlocks are a great idea..

Great pictures though.. *Ü*

6:54 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Cooper was in his usual top form I see. He obviously loves the trials. He also loves his momma, it shows!!

It is so hard for me to understand how anyone could steal anything, much less someone's dog. . . That just boggles the mind.

I know the center in Novi has had problems in the past. And not just with the animal shows. There seems to be people who will steal anything if they think they can make a buck from it. That is just sad.

Did you ever go explore the old BC buildings??

Hope you had a great weekend!! It sure looks like you did. Next time you're going to do an event at Novi, let me know.

BTW: I'll be posting some news in the next day or two. . .

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos. Cooper looks like he is having the time of his life!
What kind of monster would steal a dog? It boggles the mind.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Behind Blue Eyes said...

Stealing someones dog? What is wrong with people? Do I sound old when I say that things didn't used to be this bad? Yes, I guess people will just have to become proactive. Then what do they intend to do with them? They are registered dogs it is true, but you won't have their registration papers anymore so what exactly are they achieving?

10:19 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Agree with everyone here. How terrible that you can't take Cooper to a fun event without the possibility of being dognapped.

Love the pics! What a sweetheart :+)

2:49 PM  
Blogger Rossi2009 said...

Wow, you know, we have a lot of big shows around here in Texas and no security at all, I'm surprised something like this hasn't happened down here.... Great pictures too!!!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Thanks al!
Diana - I dunno - show dogs are intact, so maybe for breeding. Or just to get a cool dog without the bother of, you know, paying for or training one.

7:08 AM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

steal my pet and die...bastids..
wow, cooper looks like he is in doggie heaven..

12:45 AM  
Blogger Jill Bryant said...

The dog theft is so awful and I am glad you are taking precautions (and passing on the word.) The stolen dog still might show up, though. There was a segment on a pit that was stolen and showed up five months later because of the chip. A burglar had broken in and taken the dog. The owners said they were going to get a watchdog for their dog...It was one of few nice news stories on pits where the recovered dog was so sweet, it was practically sitting in the lap of the reporter.

The agility pictures are really great! I hope this is something Honey and I get to try this year. Gotta say, though, Cooper in flight is pretty magnificent. I'm usually laughing over people's stories about their dogs so I sometimes forget what beautiful animals they really are (even if they're also goofballs.)

3:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home