Friday, February 16, 2007

Howard Hodgkin, big and little art.






The top photo is the 110 ton Kapoor sculpture at Chicago's Millenium Park. The bottom photo is a blurry enlargement of yours truly, looking like a fashion disaster bag lady (and proud of it!) reflected in the giant sculpture.
For those who follow such things, I am wearing:
A Mackinac Island t-shirt with a big toothy fish printed on the back.
An Italian hand knit cardigan.
A blue bra.
A boiled wool scarf made by my mother.
Old Navy pink corduroys.
Fluffy wool boots I bought on eBay and simply adore.
I'm sorry, I don't recall my undies or socks. I'll take notes next time. I remember the bra because it's spectacularly ugly and unsexy, yet very comfy. I have several, and I'm sure that's what I was wearing. It's not a "date bra", of course. Ha, ha.

The middle three photos are Howard Hodgkin paintings currently on display at the Tate gallery in London. I wrote about him on my other blog.
Now, many people will say, "what's the big deal? My six year old could have painted that!" (A common reaction to abstract art.)
To which I respond:
1: No, your six year old could not have painted that.
2: And besides, she didn't, did she?

Woof! :)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carina, you are a fashion icon on the cutting edge. I had no idea. :>}

I love your answer to modern art critics.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I agree, you look pretty good and funky in that outfit. It always works when it reflects your true self. Is that really your mom's stuff??

4:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the one of you the best!

1:39 AM  
Blogger Carina said...

Jan thank you. Look for me on the front page of People soon, LOL.

Tabor - yes, Shilasdair is my mom's company.

Thank you Vickie! :)

7:49 AM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

my granddaughter jenny would mug you on the streets of chicago for them pants...I would mug you for the boots..so guess that would leave you near nuff nekkid..ha..

5:47 PM  
Blogger Behind Blue Eyes said...

Unique always rates in my book!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

That pic of you is great!! It's not the clothes girl, it's the attitude!!!

Besides. . . Comfort wins out over fashion in my book every time. . . .

What's the plan for the show next weekend??

Love ya!!!

HUGGSS!!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

That's our bean! Sorry, as I Chicagoan I feel the need to claim the bean as my own.

Great pictures. I have many pictures of myself and others reflected in the bean.

I don't know when you took the pictures, but it makes me laugh that you are in a coat, scarf and boots and the guy behind you is wearing a tee-shirt.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post cracked me up. Especially your description of your outfit.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait. A. Minute.

You were in Chicago this weekend?

SO WAS I!

I even parked near Millenium Park!

Crazy.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Love your outfit, girlfriend!

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home