Saturday, November 25, 2006

Cooper in Chicago.





It's hard having a dog in the city, with no yard. Cooper came down to Chicago with me. My brother and his girlfriend live in a great apartment in Hyde Park...it's a wonderful, funky, diverse part of the city. They're 3 stories up, though...I had to be really dedicated and take Cooper out first thing in the morning before I'd had coffee. Oh, the horror! And then late at night, even after eating myself practically into a coma on Thanksgiving. Gah. We did have some lovely long walks though, through parks and along the lakeshore and around the city. And one must always, always carry plastic poop bags. I wonder how many hundreds of pounds of dog shit are produced in a large city on a daily basis? Thousands of pounds, perhaps. Yikes.
I know I wrote some time back about the Quaker parrot population in Chicago. That's not the only wildlife in the middle of the city - raccoons survive and thrive right near downtown, believe it or not! When I was pulling onto my brother's street on Wednesday night, one strolled right across the street in front of me. We were many blocks from the park and I'm not sure where they hide out. The writer of this article I found mentioned seeing one on 57th in Hyde Park, the one I saw was near 53rd. Wild.
Cooper also had a lovely time lying (and drooling) at Sara's feet while she was preparing Thanksgiving dinner. He got to eat the turkey giblets and lick all the plates clean.
Daphne didn't have nearly as interesting a time at home alone with her cat. But John the petsitting dude did a fine job, she gave him no problems at all and everything was nice and orderly when I got home. I left him with a stack of bully sticks (dehydrated bull penis dog chews, no kidding), a stuffed Kong and a large beef soup bone to give her. These kept her amused - and from eating couches. I didn't think it was fair to leave her crated so much and she did fine.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all. I see Cooper is overseeing the cooking of the turkey.........

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving. The pictures of Daphne are stunning. Glad she made it through the holiday in such fine fettle.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Behind Blue Eyes said...

Glad you had a nice time. Glad Coop had a nice time. (that dog always has a big grin on his face!)

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

City dwelling dog owners are amazing. I like to think I'm a responsible owner, but all I have to do is let my dogs out into a fenced yard and walk them when I feel like it. Maneuvering stairs in the early am and late pm and manning bags would put a strain on my relationship. :)

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next month, when the damn "NaBloPoMo" is over, you won't be able to get rid of me. I'll be here all month, just leaving comments and happy to have time to read again!

Your Thanksgiving sounds like it was very nice. I'd love to see the wild Quaker/Monk parakeets. I've seen the wild cherry-headed conures in San Francisco, as well as some small wild flocks of canary-winged parakeets there, but I bet the Quakers are really entertaining (and loud).

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a good place to get bully stix fairly cheap (well here in the store they are $3.95 A PIECE! - and therefore much cheaper online.)

http://e-petsboutique.com/

4:05 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Thanks for stopping by y'all and comments duly noted...holiday is behind us, I'm done with eating turkey for another year! :)

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next year don't have turkey. We grill out steaks for Thanksgiving. Yummy.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Jill Bryant said...

I'm very happy about Daphne! And that one shot by the rocks looks incredible. I've only been to Chicago for a very short time so I didn't get to explore nearly enough. Looks fun - after you've had your coffee....

4:50 AM  
Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

I'm not sure but I think the racoons often live like rats/mice/possums in the city.
I'm glad you had the devotion within to take Cooper to Chicago with you & to deal with those flights of stairs at all bewitching hours...he looks like he was really enjoying himself!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home