Saturday, December 02, 2006

Guns, knives and dogs. Oh my.



Man Attacked With Bizarre Weapon.

This is a Flint TV news station, but knife incident happened in Grand Blanc, not Flint. Grand Blanc is considered a "oh, you live there, ooh lala," snobby, tres upscale town, about 15 miles south of Flint.
I looked that knife up online. It's made by some guy who is into doing props and weapons for people into fantasy stuff and is supposed to be "for display only." Yah right. That's why it's REALLY SHARP. Can anyone spell "d i s i n g e n u o u s."
It's been around for some years; I found references from 2003. I don't think it should be illegal though. Any more than I don't think properly registered and handled firearms should be illegal. Or any more than I think properly cared for and trained pitbulls and Rottweilers and mastiffs should be illegal.
This doesn't mean I don't think weapons of this sort aren't stupid! I think they are. For the record I don't own anything that was designed specifically as a weapon - no big-ass kinives, no firearms. Well, I do have a can of mace by the front door, but that is it.



Guns don't kill people, people kill people. (Actually cars kill more people than guns, if you want to follow this line of reasoning. Yes, I realise this is a flawed analogy. Just saying.)
Knives don't kill people, people kill people.
Ban the deed, not the breed.



Do you think my dogs, or those pictured above, should be taken from their owners' homes and killed because various municipalities have deemed them inherently vicious?
I don't either. This is happening in several cities in the US though.

When are we going to start properly enforcing existing laws, demanding personal responsibility and stop making silly nanny laws that acheive nothing?
This isn't a political blog so I'll stop there. But really.

11 Comments:

Blogger daydreamer said...

No dog ought to be put down because of it's Breed.. It's the owners.. I agree with you.. It's like there blaming the knives.. Hello, a knife can't one get up out of the drawer & say I wanna go stick myself into someone 2day.. I feel that way about guns &
4-wheelers.. We've had tons of news here in WV about 4-wheeler accidents.. If the dumba**'s that are riding them would slow down & stop thinking of them as cars there wouldn't be so many people hurt or killed.. It's like they have to blame something in order to bi*** about it, other than what's really going on in the world..
By the way I love your dog on the bed, looks so cute..

7:41 AM  
Blogger threecollie said...

Good post...very well said

10:56 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

And my dog is 11 pounds of cute, and people come up and stick their hands in his face after I specifically tell them, "Don't get near him, he bites."

The dance of keeping idiots away from him must look comic to the neighbors, as I unfortunately reinforce his impression that *people* are dangerous by trying to keep *people* away from his teeth.

One idiot neighbor (the one with the rottie that weighs more than a halfback, poor ol'girl) came right up the lawn - through the ditch, mind you, to stick her hand in his face saying 'All dogs *love* me!' I was tempted to let him take his ounce of flesh on that one. STUPID PEOPLE!

But getting out and walking him is doing him a world of good. He no longer barks at the vet and her assistants, and he's getting much better on the barking in his yard.

We are working on it. Progress could be quicker. Stupid people.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many people seem to have the idea that life would be perfect if we would just pass enough laws, so the lawmakers do it to stay in office. I'm a volunteer with our local police department and I can't believe the books that are delivered constantly with new laws for the police to enforce. Dog bite? Let's pass laws against that breed, never mind that there are already laws against irresponsible dog owners and thousands of that breed make loving pets for people who care deeply for them.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I have to say is...

Thank you.

Agreed. 100. Percent.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Dogs only react to what they know. If they only know pain, they strike out. . . Hardly their fault.

As for the "Critical Mass Knife" . . . anyone who would even own such a weapon needs to be locked up. It has only one purpose and that is to kill.

I'm all for hunting if it's for food. I was glad to see that most people here in MI throught the same way on the Dove hunting proposal. . . What idiot thought it was sporting to shoot doves for target practice??

BTW: I grew up just outside of Grand (LA DEE DA) Blanc. . . Linden to be exact. . .

Love ya!!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I grew up on Lahring Rd.. . . West of Linden Rd.. . . How wierd is that???

Love ya!!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Lauren - no kidding, small world!!

6:38 AM  
Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

No doubt!
I saw a sign like the 'beware of dog' signs but it said 'Beware of Dog Owner.' LOL, that is more like it.

Great post & I totally agree, as I have 5 dogs, one of which is a sharpei/pitbull mix. She is a sweetheart, yet I have to hide her from homeowners insurance, I have to post my property & when we went to adopt a child we had kept for years, I was told we needed to find a home for her.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Rossi2009 said...

worst dog bite i ever got was from a chihuahua..... don't see them trying to ban those nasty little buggars though!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Newpeep, N.D. (neurotic depressive) said...

I'm very impressed by the live plant in your betta bowl! :-)

Lin

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home