Saturday, September 30, 2006

NARP - Secret bad deeds...

(NARP: non-animal related post.)

Republican Representative Mark Foley resigned after he was caught emailing and IMing teenage boys
...get this, Foley was chairman of the Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus and had introduced legislation in July to protect children from exploitation by adults over the Internet.
Haha! What a feakin' arrogant hypocrite. Did he think he wouldn't get caught?
The National Republican Congressional Committee was alerted to Foley's nasty little habit months ago, yet did nothing.
Doesn't this remind you of the Catholic church covering up their priests' sexual abuse for decades? That is just evil. WWJD? Not sneak around and refuse to help confused priests and traumatised children, that's for sure.

WASHINGTON, Sept. 29 — In six terms representing a wealthy swath of southern Florida, Representative Mark Foley, a Republican, became well known for his ardent efforts to safeguard the young and vulnerable, leading the House caucus on missing and exploited children and championing laws against sexual predators.

On Friday, Mr. Foley resigned abruptly after being confronted with a series of sexually explicit Internet messages he is reported to have sent to under-age Congressional pages. He stands accused of being the very kind of predator he had denounced.

“I am deeply sorry,” Mr. Foley, 52, said in a three-sentence statement released by his office, “and I apologize for letting down my family and the people of Florida I have had the privilege to represent.” The statement did not refer specifically to the Internet messages.

The first e-mail messages to one male page, sexually suggestive but not explicit, were reported by ABC News on Thursday. Mr. Foley, a member of the House Republican leadership, dismissed them as “overly friendly” but not inappropriate.

But by Friday, other pages had come forward with more blatant instant messages. “What ya wearing?” Mr. Foley wrote to one, according to the network. “Tshirt and shorts,” the teenager responded. “Love to slip them off of you,” Mr. Foley replied.

ABC News said it had read him other messages that were far more graphic. Within hours, Mr. Foley resigned in a one-sentence letter to Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida. He left the Capitol without answering questions.


Diana wrote an excellent post on people hiding behind masks. Do you think there's anyone without a secret, without something they keep hidden out of shame? Even a little tiny silly thing they've never told another soul?
Frank Warren has been soliciting anonymous, confessional postcards for a few years - in fact he has published a book of them. Many are poignant, funny, sad and some quite lovely. He posts them here.
Lifechurch TV invites people to post anonymous confessions on their site - by posting here you are guaranteed prayer support. It makes for entertaining and sometimes unsettling reading - I hope people who put their secrets out there feel better.

Here's one. Well, I have told people this; it's not really a secret, just something I don't think about often. When I was three years old, my parents told me cats always landed on their feet. No matter how high they fell from. So, I dropped the family cat out of a third story window (we lived in an apartment in Edinburgh at the time.) The poor cat was very badly hurt and had to be put to sleep. I remember being very upset and confused because, well, because I'd been lied to, I guess. I knew I'd done something wrong but really didn't understand why. I imagined the cat would fly down and land unharmed; I was a curious kid and just wanted to see.
Little kids take things literally - don't lie to them!
OK, that last was sort of hard to write and I almost deleted it. I don't think I've ever actually written it down before in my life and I realise I still feel very guilty about it, over four decades later.

6 Comments:

Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

huh...wonder how many of those missing kids HE is responsible for...????

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember every animal I've accidentally hurt -- the toad I ran over with my bicycle when I was in 5th grade, the praying mantis I walked on in a field when I was about 21, another praying mantis I stepped on a few years later, a pigeon I was rehabbing which aspirated -- they all stick in my head, and I wish I could have undone them all. It's the people who do things with intention and malice who don't feel guilt about their actions.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I guess this was a case of "It takes one to know one"......

1:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, that's so sad. I can't imagine as an animal lover, having to live with that guilty conscience your whole life.

2:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were only three. Three is barely able to conceive of consequences.

5:19 PM  
Blogger singleton said...

Oh, you dropped the cat because you "believed"....as you should have. At three, the words of every big person are wisdom. Three is awful young to start learning lessons about the big bad truth. Bless you.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home