Tuesday, December 05, 2006

So many magazines, so little time.



BARK.
This is a literary dog magazine - slick, glossy and way fun to read. Great photography, very well written articles and stories. Sort of the Atlantic Monthly of dog magazines, not at all like Dog World and Dog Fancy. I used to subscribe to those, but they get a bit boring after a while.
BARK website.



DOGSPORT. Excellent instructional and inspirational articles on all manner of working dog sports - agility, obedience, rally-o, etc.
Dogsport website.



Intelligence Report. The magazine of the Southern Poverty Law Center. Really, really interesting reporting on all manner of civil rights issues, mostly dealing with white supremacist and racist groups both in the USA and abroad. Unabashedly liberal! SPLC was founded in the early 1970s to go after organised racist groups in the courts.
Fabulous in-depth reporting on militias, supremacists and the scarier, militant religious groups.
SPLC website.



Oprah! I don't think most womens' magazines are very interesting, I find them silly. Oprah is intelligent, quality writing, frou-frou girly stuff on fashion and beauty as well as thoughtful articles on everything from books to relationships.
Oprah mag site.

There's so many interesting magazines! Others I buy as the covers catch my eye, but these are the four I subscribe to because I always read them and it's way cheaper to subscribe. I'd read more if I had the time.

8 Comments:

Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

Wow Carina! How resourceful!
Thank you for the insight & links!
Most dog magazines do get a bit redundant or boring...I'll have to check out Bark.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

Hey you - yes, BARK is a great mag, even if you're not a "dog person." For the writing and photography.

6:03 PM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

oh man..you dont take vanity fair? it's my favorite mag..even if it is full of fashion shit and ads out the ass..the letters to the editor the editors letter and the articles are usually the best...my girlfriend shady lane subscribed me to it so we could discuss the articles in the mag...

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mag reviews. I always wonder how these dog mags are.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was surprised by how much I liked Oprah, the magazine, not being a daytime TV fan. And thanks for the recommendation on BARK. I will definitely subscribe. You're right about the old ones getting boring.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Glad I stopped by. Lots of doggie mags out there I didn't know about!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

JS - I love to look at Vanity Fair, all those pretty pictures!
Rhea - there's a ton of dog magazines but BARK is my favourite...others I pick up sometimes if there's an interesting article.
Jan, ditto. I don't watch daytime TV, but the magazine is fun.
Karen, hey neighbor!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Dog Sport. I may have to see if I can pick up a copy at Borders.

I am actually thinking of getting Bailey involved in agility. He's smart enough, and he'd love the activity... focus might be an issue... Scatty terrier brained dog!

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home